Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mister Bones' Top 5

Zombies, we all love them, yes? I love them, you love them, we all love the brain munchers. That's not all I love though, I also love Batman. What's better than Batman? Batman fighting zombies, of course. It doesn't happen all that often, but with Blackest Night this Summer, and heroes returning from the dead left and right all over the DC Universe, Batman has had his hands full with the undead lately.

You might say to yourself at this point, "What better time, Bones, than now to post your top 5 favorite zombie related Batman comic covers of all time?" Don't mind as I do, friend. Don't mind as I do.

Top 5 Zombie Related Batman Comic Covers


5. Batman Confidential #46 by Tom Mandrake - You don't often hear mention of horror comic artists and not hear the name Tom Mandrake. He's probably best known for his Spectre run from the 90's, but he's also fond of drawing the Batman. He recently finished this Batman Confidential arc, which you might remember my mentioning was a direct sequel to last year's "Superman and Batman vs Vampires and Werewolves and This is the Longest Title We Could Think of for this Comic". Ok, maybe that wasn't exactly the title, but I didn't add much.


4. Blackest Night Batman #3 by Andy Kubert - I know you're probably wondering why these particular zombies are dressed like disco dancers. It's because they're the reanimated corpses of Dick Grayson's parents, Grayson as in the first Robin, then Nightwing, now current Batman, son of circus trapeze artists "The Flying Graysons". I'm not the biggest Kubert fan in the world, but I have to admit I dig the perspective of this image, looks good with Batman almost reaching off the cover as his parents attempt to drag him down into the grave with them.


3. Blackest Night #5 variant cover by Rodolfo Migliari - Have to come clean here, I'm not very familiar with this artist, aside from his Blackest Night variant painted covers, I'm not even sure I've ever seen any of his work. These were great though, with this particular one obviously being my favorite.


2. Batman Gotham Knights #29 by Brian Bolland - Simply put, Brian Bolland is a genius. There's no other word to describe his artistic talent. He primarily does covers now, but you'll of course remember him from The Killing Joke. He can draw anything, his Batman is very nice, but it's his Joker that really isn't to be fucked with. You ask me who draws the quintessential Joker, and I'll say Brian Bolland every single time. We're not here for Joker though, we're here for zombies, and he can obviously draw those pretty good too.



1. Batman #453 by Mike Mignola - Ah, Mike Mignola, the father of Hellboy, and artist responsible for one of my absolute favorite Batman covers ever printed, zombies or not. This cover has been burned into my brain since the very first time I laid eyes on it in the drug store where I bought my comics as a kid. I love, love, love this cover. I love the hands reaching out of the ground, I love the way the zombies are clawing at Batman, and I love the statue behind them all. I credit Mike Mignola as one of my biggest horror comic influences, going back to way before anybody had ever even heard of Hellboy.

And just for fun, here's this...

No comments: