Friday, February 4, 2011

Movie Night - Hatchet HD Double Feature!


Putting the kids to bed early tonight and heading to the swamp for a double dose of backwoods brutality courtesy of one, Victor Crowley. I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of Adam Green's horror "icon" (I think Frozen is by far his best work) but I like him well enough I guess. I'm definitely a Kane Hodder fan, so I guess I'm obligated to at least support the Hatchet movies for that if nothing else. 

Of course I'm also a horror fan, and do as much as I can to support the genre. I write about stuff here, I buy as many dvd's as I can afford to, get to the theater when I can, and I do lots of talking to people who aren't even listening to me. Not attempting to start any sort of fanboy blog war here, but there's a fairly popular horror blogger, whose blog I read, that was pretty disappointed about Hatchet II's theatrical failure last year. He instructed those of us who didn't make it out to a theater to see it to "stop our bitching" about horror not being on the big screen, stating that this was "our chance to send a message" that we wanted horror in theaters. Here's the thing, first of all, not ALL of us had a theater anywhere nearby that was playing it, second of all it was pulled after the first weekend, so you either saw it on one of those three days or you didn't see it, and third of all, some of us are grown ups with jobs, kids, and real life responsibilities that prevent of from driving several hours to a theater to support a film even though we would really like to. Yeah, those are my same old, tired excuses for not being able to do anything, but it's the reality I live with, so if I want to bitch about the lack of decent horror in my LOCAL theaters, then that's exactly what I'm going to do, and I certainly don't need a self-righteous, Adam Green ass-kisser to tell me what I can and can't do. 

Wow, I had no intention on going off on a rant there, but fuck it, it applies, so I'm leaving it! If you're so inclined, you can read what I thought about my initial viewing of Hatchet II here, spoiler, I liked it, didn't love it. I'm hoping though, that since the sequel picks up pretty much one frame after the original ends, that if viewed back to back, as one 3 hour movie, that I'll end up enjoying them both more. Who knows? It could work.


1 comment:

J. Astro said...

I agree - just because I didn't rush right out to the "nearest" AMC theater - which is easily hours away from me - on *gasp!* opening weekend just to see a followup/sequel to what was a waaaay-over-hyped, mediocre slasher pic inthe first place doesn't mean I don't want to see more "REAL" (whatever that even means) horror in theaters. Right on, brother - I'm with ya. The best horror lives on the hearts, minds, and home video/DVD collections of the fans anyway, whether or not it does good box office; and theaters will soon be obsolete, anyhow.

That said I am curious and also hope to get around to this one this weekend sometime.