Thursday, September 15, 2011

The New 52 Week Two

The books from week 2 of the New 52 hit yesterday, and just like last week, here's a look at what I'm reading.

When Grant Morrison gave this book up and let Peter Tomasi take the reigns pre-new 52, the book definitely took on a bit of a different tone. No secret, I didn't really like Morrison's Batman stuff and I was happy to see Tomasi come on board and get the book back to the kind of Batman stories I like to read. I'm expecting no less from this relaunch of the series. Joining Mr. Tomasi on art duty is once again Patrick Gleason. I always loved his art on Green Lantern Corps, glad to see him drawing a Bat book.











Boy this book has been in development Hell for a while, it's been delayed almost as many times as Duke Nukem Forever was. here's hoping this doesn't turn out to be the comic book equivalent of that monumental letdown. My guess is the book has been pushed back so many times to accomodate the super slow art of JH Williams. While I totally love his art, and feel like it's worth the wait, at the same time I'm ready to read this book, and maybe since he can't maintain a monthly schedule, then maybe we shouldn't give him a monthly book to draw. Enough of the negative Nelly shit though, this book is guaranteed to be amazing. Adding a helping hand on the writing part of the book is W. Haden Blackman, which is a name I don't recognize. Don't know exactly how much he'll contribute, but as long as Williams is on board, then so am I.




This one is the epitome of a no-brainer for yours truly. It's a book about Frankenstein and the Creature Commandos. I'm there. That's all I need to know. The fact that Jeff Lemire is writing it, and as I've mentioned I'm a fan of his, is just icing on the cake. I love Sweet Tooth, I loved the Flashpoint Frankenstein series that Jeff wrote, and I fully expect to love this series. Interior art is being done by Alberto Ponticelli, and this is another of those names that I recognize but his work obviously didn't do a whole lot to impress me as I can't really remember anything he's drawn off the top of my head. As long as I can kinda tell that it's Frankenstein, I'll be ok. More importantly, one of the greatest cover artists in all of comicdom, JG Jones, is working cover magic on this one. Not sure how long he'll be on board, but as long as he is, we're in for a treat.




Another easy one, it was one of the best comics on the racks before the relaunch, and it's back now with the same creative team, writer Geoff Johns and artist Doug Mahnke. The characters are a little different though, as Sinestro steps in as the book's main character instead of Hal Jordan. With this being a relaunch, I'm not entirely sure exactly what's going on here, as when the War of the Green Lanterns ended, Hal had lost his ring and Sinestro was a Green Lantern again, which is exactly where we stand here at the beginning of this series. Seems to me this one's picking up where the last series ended, even though it's supposed to be a fresh start. We'll see I guess, this book is in more than capable hands with Geoff Johns, and no matter what happens, it's going to be good.





Basically I'm only reading this book because I read all the Green Lantern titles. Truth be told I'm not all that excited about a book centered around GL villains. Add to that the fact that Peter Milligan is writing it, and he's always been hit or miss for me. I do kinda like Ed Benes though, his art style is a little bit Jim Lee but different, and I dig it. This one's probably going to be one of the first on the chopping block for me if it doesn't impress right out of the gates. I'll give it a shot, but honestly I'm not expecting much here.









This is a weird one. The goth chick on the cover there? That's supposed to be Harley Quinn. I'm going on record now stating that I don't care for this new look for her. Suicide Squad is a book that I've read on and off throughout pretty much every iteration over the years. Despite it being a pretty interesting idea, taking death row supervillain inmates and sending them on missions deemed to dangerous they're suicide, it's never really found it's footing. The creative team is entirely new to me, which also doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Adam Glass is writing alongside artist Marco Rudy. If I'm supposed to know who either of them are, I don't. Still, as long as Harley, or what is passing for Harley in the New 52 is in it, I'll read it. As soon as she's out, I likely will be too.





That's week two! I'm still on the fence about Resurrection Man, never read him before despite it sounding like an interesting idea. But I'm already reading a lot, and I'm not thrilled with the creative team there, so I'll give it a look but I'm not planning on picking it up as of now. Expect week 3's picks next Wednesday or Thursday! Until then, happy reading.

No comments: