Thursday, November 8, 2012


Got a few things worth mentioning this week, so let's not dawdle with this normally mostly useless opening paragraph...


So it seems a Necromancer has decided to "fix" the state of our fair nation by resurrecting dead presidents. Captain America is first on the scene when Harry S. Truman emerges from his grave, and promptly decapitates him with his shield. Not content with having headlines such as "Decapitain America beheads President Truman" on the newsstands, SHIELD decides to resort to drastic measures to clean up this zombie president mess, and hires Deadpool. See folks, this is the kind of shit I want to read about in Deadpool. This new series, part of Marvel's "NOW" campaign which is basically just yet another renumbering scam similar to DC's "New 52", is written by comedian Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan, with art from a personal favorite, Tony "I drew The Walking Dead way better" Moore. I was skeptical of how much I would enjoy the story from an unproven writer like Posehn, but if you tell me Tony Moore draws a book, I'm going to buy it, simple as that. If this first issue is an indicator though, Posehn and Duggan seem to know the Merc with a Mouth pretty well, and this should be one hell of a fun series.


Elected Gotham City officials are showing up as the victims of violent crimes all over the city. Nothing new for Gotham, right? Sure, but this time there's a twist, they're all dressed in home made Batman costumes. You just know the Joker is behind it, and he is, but there's no traces of any kind of poison, gas or otherwise, and the victims only show signs of having been murdered by the circumstances they were found in. So, how is Joker convincing perfectly normal, upstanding political members of Gotham City to dress as Batman and get themselves killed at the hands of the likes of Killer Croc? Good shit here from B. Clay Moore, whose only other work I can remember reading is an Image mini-series named "Battle Hymn" from a few years ago, and some issues of JSA Classified. I never read Hawaiian Dick, but now I'm thinking maybe I should. Of course you could've sold this book to me without words in it, as Ben Templesmith handled the art, and I basically worship at the altar Templesmith. I flat out love the dude's art, period. Don't care what he's drawing, I'm buying.


Valiant's resurrecting yet another of their properties, this time giving Shadowman a new series. Unlike the other relaunches so far though, this one seems to be taking the character in a little bit of a different direction, and most certainly has given him a new look. Gotta say, while I did read the old Shadowman series, it wasn't my favorite Valiant book. This new one though, is off to a good start, and I'm interested to see where Justin Jordan and Patrick Zircher will be taking it. Hard to talk much about the issue as it's mostly setup, as #1's tend to be, but I'm confident that it's going be great, based off the Valiant relaunch's record, if nothing else.


The newest in Dark Horse's creator-owned batch, Colder finally arrived in my pull box. In all honesty, the cover art alone sold me on this. Paul Tobin writing just added fuel to the fire. This one is also hard to really talk about, not because nothing happens, but because what does happen doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense yet. The book opens with an explosion and fire at a mental institution. In the chaos, a character named Declan is visited from a weird looking guy that emerges from a portal named Nimble Jack, who tells him that he will become "colder". Fast forward a few years later, and Declan is a medical marvel who is a live-in patient of a nurse named Reece. While technically alive, Declan is basically an invalid who doesn't do much more than sit in a chair and stare at the wall. His body temperature has been slowly dropping for years,  with no explanation, and currently sits at 46 degrees. Not sure where this one's going, or what to make of Nimble Jack quite yet, demon? Imp? I dunno. All I know is he's a weird fucker, who apparently eats souls, and I fucking loved this first issue. Can't wait for issue 2.

No comments: